100 Days Path

Many of the entries in this blog are my diary entries as I work my way through the book 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on any Diet Plan by Linda Spangle.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 2: Interested or committed?

Day 2: Interested or committed?

This chapter talks about the difference between being merely interested in losing weight and being committed to it. When we are merely interested, we are easily swayed from our diet when opportunities arise to have our favorite foods. When attending a party, going out with friends, or simply having a bad day, we easily convince ourselves that it is OK to go off our diet for a little while to enjoy.

When we are committed, we may not stay on our diet 100% of the time, but we make a conscience choice to pick the times when we stray very carefully, get right back on our diet immediately after and stay on our diet even at some of the parties or at the end of those bad days.

Wow, does this chapter ever ring true for me! So many times I have started full-bore on a weight-loss plan only to fall right off at the first opportunity. I do this for a combination of reasons:

  • I don't want anyone to question why I'm not eating. That might start a conversation about my diet and weight! If you've read my previous posts, you know how I feel about that!
  • I don't want to deny myself. A lot of this stems from the extended periods of time in my life when I was denied foods due to my Crohn's Disease. I've also talked about this in an earlier post.
  • I quickly convince myself that I can slip off this "one time" but I will get right back on the wagon. Yeah, that doesn't usually happen. When I slip off, I'm usually off for several days or end up completely abandoning my weight-loss plan all together.
  • I tell myself that there is plenty of time in the future for dieting but right NOW I'm going to enjoy myself. Yeah, that's just not working anymore. Every day that I'm not on a plan for weight-loss is one more day I will stay heavy. I envision myself at a healthy weight but it's not going to happen overnight, in one month, and very possibly not even in one year. I need to be on that path NOW and I need to stay on it. If I veer off, it needs to be a VERY short detour and I must get back on the main path ASAP.

I don't think I have ever truly committed myself to my weight-loss plan. Although last December when I was back on Medifast shortly, I did attend my church's Christmas party and did not eat anything. So that is a good example for me to remember that I CAN attend a party and stay on plan.

I'm famous for my stubbornness so this interested vs committed thing should be easy for me, right? right?

Assignment:

Decide that you will always be committed to your weight-loss plan, not just interested.

OK, I'm working hard on that. The past few days I've reminded myself several times why I am doing this and to stay committed. That has helped me to make better food choices and greatly helped whil
e I was grocery shopping and planning our meals for the next few weeks.

In your journal, describe how you will stick to your program, no matter what.

This blog is my journal. Today I am scheduled to go work a shift for an organization I belong to at our booth at a community fair. Like all community fairs, there will be a sorts of yummy "fair food" like corn dogs (my favorite), french fries, elephant ears (another favorite) readily available for sale there. I'm not going to buy or eat a single thing. Before I leave, I will have a medifast meal and I will pack some medifast snacks in my purse (out of their packages of course so no one knows what I'm snacking on! Yes, I know, silly.). And I will take a big travel cup with a mixture of unsweetened iced tea and Sugar Free Red Bull.

It's only a 2-hour shift and since my husband works tonight, he will not be with me so the temptations will be minimized.

The past few days have been over 100 degrees here and since we don't have central A/C, I've stayed off my treadmill. I figure I've sweated out nearly all the calories I would have burned on the treadmill. But today it will only be in the 80's so I will do 2-3 miles today on the treadmill, either before I head to the community fair or this evening. No matter what.

Do at least one thing today that demonstrates you are truly committed. For example, take a walk or eat your vegetables - no matter what.

Under the previous task I described how I plan to stay ON plan today despite anticipated temptations and my commitment to hit the treadmill today.

Yesterday's Foods:

AM: I attended my Rotary Club meeting and did have breakfast there. 2 veggie sausage patties, small serving of an egg/potato/ham/cheese bake, 3 strawberries, 6-8 blueberries, 6-8 green grapes, mini poppy seed muffin, mini banana nut muffin. One small square of dark chocolate that was passed around.

About half of my usual triple iced latte.

Mid-day: MF chicken noodle soup and MF crackers.

Late afternoon: MF parmesan cheese puffs, 2 sugar-free popsicles

Dinner: grilled skinless/boneless chicken thighs, 1 serving of Knorr Parmesan pasta dish, green salad with some sharp cheddar shredded cheese, 4 small green olives, sunflower seeds, low fat blue cheese yogurt dressing and topped with a few chinese noodles. One sugar free popsicle.

Dessert: MF chocolate pudding with 2tbs of Fat Free Cool Whip stirred in.

Late Night: nothing!

Exercise: None besides usual daily activities and grocery shopping.

Weight: down 1.8lbs from previous day, down 5lbs since starting back on MF, down 9.6lbs from heaviest weight




No comments:

Post a Comment