100 Days Path

Many of the entries in this blog are my diary entries as I work my way through the book 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on any Diet Plan by Linda Spangle.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 1: I used to be that way

Day 1: I used to be that way

The first paragraph hit home with me. "You are so determined to make this program work. This time you really want to stay on your weight-loss plan and reach your goal. But deep inside, you may be afraid you haven't changed at all and that you'll quit your program long before the 100 days are up."

YEP.

I don't think I have ever stayed on a weight-loss plan consistently for 100 straight days. I fall off after the first month or few weeks or even a few times after just a day or two. And I even admit that a few times I've started the day with an attitude of "this is IT. I'm going to lose this weight" and by the evening I've fallen off the wagon.


So, yes, I am afraid I won't complete this. I am hoping that by posting my daily progress here I will be a lot more accountable to myself. I may not do one of the "days" every day and that is ok. Linda talks in her book that some people may need more than 100 days to complete the 100-Day Plan as life does get in the way. But as that happens, I will pick up where I left off and continue down the path.

This first lesson starts right off with a great lesson. "Change your thinking"

In regards to falling off the wagon and abandoning a weight-loss plan, she writes "Stop right there! Your past does not determine your future. In fact, your previous failures have absolutely no effect on your ability to succeed now. Staring today, eliminate the belief that things always go a certain way or that you never stay with your goals. Whenever those doubts creep back in, immediately give yourself this new message:

I used to be that way, but now I'm different!"

Assignment:

1. Make a list of any fears or negative behaviors that have hurt your weight-loss success in the past. Read each one out loud, and then say, "I used to be that way, but now I'm different."

Fear: I will fail and people will know. I am such a type-A-never-disappoint-everything-has-to-be-perfect person that this is a big one for me. I HATE, HATE, HATE talking about my weight. This stems from being a fat kid and teenager and some of the horribly cruel things that were done and said to me by other kids. I also have a lot of anxiety about my weight and my family, especially my Dad. I know he loves me but he was quite hard on me in my teenage years when I was overweight and made it known he was embarrassed to have a fat daughter. When I am around him and other people in my family, I just feel like a huge, fat, ugly loser.

I only discuss my weight with my husband who is unbelievably supportive and loves me no matter what the scale or the tag on my clothes says. I also have 2 girlfriends that I sort of feel ok discussing weight with. They both struggle too but I'm heavier than both of them. And of course I can talk about it with my doctor.

Whenever I start on a new weight-loss plan, I never tell anyone but my husband and (maybe) my doctor. I don't even tell the girlfriends. I am so afraid of anyone knowing I failed that it is easier to just not tell anyone.

Fear: Talking about my weight. I have recently come to realize that due to my enormous fear of talking about my weight, when I start to lose weight, I both crave attention from those around me to notice and also at the same time I dread them noticing. I crave the attention as validation that I'm doing something right and I dread it as I know I will be asked what I am doing or they will remark that they notice and right in that I would be forced to talk about weight. Stupid, I know. But I think this dread is part of what is sabotaging me in gaining success in losing.

Negative Behavior: I'm a foodie. I have a very severe case of Crohn's Disease and have had 9 bowel resections. During my hospital stays (2-3 weeks at a time) for each of those surgeries, I spent most of the time with a tube down my nose to suck the juices out of my stomach and had nothing by mouth so that my bowel could rest and heal.

I've also spent years of my life while sick with CD in which my diet was very limited. No popcorn, nuts, seeds, berries, etc.

It is due to these experiences that it is so hard for me to turn down my favorite foods during the times I am healthy enough to enjoy them. And I don't think that anyone who has not experienced weeks or months of life being denied any food or beverage could understand.

I LOVE movie theater popcorn and when I am healthy, I feel it is impossible for me to enjoy going to a movie without a big tub of buttered popcorn on my lap. I am going to really try to break this and a goal that I have during my 100 days is to go to the movies and take 1 (or 2) of my Medifast snacks with me and enjoy them and a Diet Coke during the movie. I might also look for some sort of sugar-free candy or something similar I could try.

Negative Behavior: I don't make my health a priority. Along with my Type-A personality, I also have a good case of ADD in that I often don't stick to things to finish them completely and too often over-schedule myself. I just can't turn the brain off.

Because of this, I have a very hard time fitting in the time required to prepare meals for healthy eating and to exercise. They aren't priorities in my day. Other, stupid stuff seems to always win out (watching tv, playing a computer game, Facebook, shopping, etc).

2. Then write new endings for them by completing this sentence: I used to _________ (fill in your old behavior), but now I __________ (write in your new ending).

I used to fear failure, but now I will embrace failure, learn from it and strive to do better.

I used to fear talking about my weight, but now I will keep in mind that most everyone struggles with weight and self-image issues and I will embrace those who offer me support.

I used to find it hard to resist my favorite foods and would over-indulge, but now I allow myself some treats but keep the serving size reasonable and get right back on my plan afterward. I will also not allow every treat that comes my way but be choosier about what is worth stepping off plan for.

I used to not make my health a priority, but now I am making myself and my goal to a healthy weight a priority. I have a lot of weight to lose that will take a bit of time and every day that goes by that I'm not on a path to losing is another day I am away from being at goal.

3. Read these new outcomes often, and then live in a way that makes them true.

This was from the Day 1 segment of the book which I read several days ago. I've been mulling it over in my head and decided to start blogging my progress so right now I'm going to go read Day 2's entry and post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment